Impact of malnutrition and dehydration on specific groups (Define the specific groups – related to ethnicity, geographical location, availability of water resources)March 31, 2016
Does inadequate nutrition and hydration affect their health?March 31, 2016
Water is one of the essential nutrients and at the same time, it is most common nutritional deficiency in Indian population. Although it does not contain any essential minerals,vitamins, fats, proteins or carbohydrates but still water is an essential as it helps in the transportation of important nutrients. The human body is made up of 60% of water, but it’s critical to maintain the right amount of water intake. Water plays an important role as it helps in the transportation of nutrients, regulation of body temperature, providing a cushion to the bones and joints,flushing out harmful toxins and wastes out from the body and to increase the capability of the natural healing process of our body.
It is important to maintain appropriate body fluids but how do you know if you are drinking enough water or not? One of the simplest ways is to observe the frequency of urination. The urine should be pale in color with no odor. If your urine shows a distinct color, then it indicates dehydration. You should take this as an indicator to go for a medical checkup by a professional.
Some other signs of dehydration include fatigue, anxiety, irritability, depression, cramps, headaches and continuous feeling of thirst. If the problem of dehydration is in advanced stage, then it leads to some other signs like heartburn, backache, joint pain ,constipation and migraines. Read on to get insight into as how to maintain appropriate body fluids.
- The best time to drink water is between meals and make sure to drink a warm glass of water with half portion of lemon squeezed into it. While drinking water between meals, ensure to drink a minimal amount of water and just have sips during meals as drinking too much water with meals dilute the digestive juices of the body. Just drink pure water and avoid buying soda bottles, juices and other expensive vitamin bottles to quench your thirst. This is because all canned juices and other vitamin waters are filled with harmful chemicals and toxins.
- The next step to maintain appropriate body fluids is to avoid drinking bottled water because of a few reasons. The first reason is that you are spending money on it unnecessarily.Secondly,the chemical present in the plastic leach comes in contact with water and makes the water unsafe for drinking especially when these plastic bottles come in contact with sun rays.Thirdly,these plastic water bottles increase wastes and pollute our environment.You must be thinking what to use for drinking water than as a replacement of plastic bottles.Then reusable stainless steel glasses or glass bottles are recommended to drink water and maintain body fluids.
It is not necessary to buy expensive filters to filter water. You can also use a simple carbon filter that helps to eliminate chemicals from the tap or well water.They prove as economical and makes the water safe for drinking.
- Another important recommendation is to measure your body weight and drink ounces of water that equals to half of the body weight.Our body loses around one to three quarts of water in a day through the process of sweating,urination and bowel movements and this lost water can be replenished by drinking half of the body weight.Let’s take an example to get clarity on this.Suppose your body weight is 100 pounds then you should try to drink as much as 50 ounces of water in a day.
- Most of us think that coffee,tea,alcohol and canned juices fulfill the requirement of water in our body.But this is false as if you take any one from the mentioned beverages then the requirement of water increases in our body.For every ounce of these beverages ,our body needs an additional ounce of water.This is because of the fact that these beverages are diuretics and pull water out from the body.The same is the case with diuretics drugs.If you are taking any diuretic drug, then make sure to drink more water.
- Still, the idea of drinking pure water doesn’t fascinate you then some of other natural ways can be used.Add one or two lemon juice into a glass bottle of water with few pinches of sea salt into it.Keep it at a place near you and enjoy drinking it.You can also add some of the fresh herbs into it like rosemary,lemon balm,mint, etc..Another alternative is to drink coconut water.
So what are you waiting for?Just drink more and more natural water in any form you like.Explore the options on what combination of flavors you can make with pure water as a base.Stay hydrated and feel better!